I do not know how many of you are aware that Sendha namak is the pure rock salt of India and is a little costlier than the normal salt because it is found in very less quantities in the Indian sub-continent. The commercial salt available is iodized where as the rock salt is pure from nature, is more granular, has less salty taste as you would have already noticed and is not chemically processed. It is rich in lot of minerals and if used in regular cooking as a substitute of common salt, it can control all the health problems posed by common salt like high blood pressure, puffiness in the body or the eyes, is cooling for the body, helpful in digestion, relieves gas and soothes heartburn and helps in weight loss.
Not only health but many beauty benefits can also be acquired from rock salt.
- Rock salt can be used as a body scrub. Since high in mineral content, it is a perfect substitute for spa standard products made at home.
- Drop a table spoon of rock salt in your bath every time and enjoy a relaxing bath. It also detoxifies your body externally as well as internally. Eases stress and body pains.
- Can be used as a teeth whitener or a mouth freshener. Also clears a sour throat if used for gargling.
- Can be used as a foot soak, foot scrub or a hand scrub too. It is not drying on the skin.
- Removes the yellowness under the nails and makes your nails shine beautifully.
- Use it to cleanse your skin at night. Mix a table spoon of rock salt with your cleanser or face wash and rub it gently into the skin. Make sure to remove make up before this routine.
In Pakistan, there is a salt range of Himalayas, called the 'Himalayan Salt Range', which has the purest form of rock salt in the whole world. It is sold as 'Himalayan salt' but it actually is just a rock salt too. The only specialty of this salt is that it is pure and does not need any kind of filtering. So, those who have easy access to Himalayan salt or Pakistan rock salt, make sure you use it regularly in your food and beauty routines.
Do not forget to differentiate between Epsom salt and Rock salt. They have different mineral contents and Epsom salt is the best for skin. If you have access to Epsom salt, you can use it for
- Removing product build up from your hair. Mix a cup of Epsom salt in your shampoo.
- Volumnize your hair. Mix equal parts of your conditioner and salt and apply it to your hair. Keep it on for 20-30 minutes and wash off.
- Removes excess oil from the hair. If you have oily hair, this is for you. Mix a cup of Epsom salt with your shampoo and leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing. The salt soaks up all the oil present in the hair.
We have always heard that salt is not good for hair but it is not so. The common salt is not suitable because it has many chemicals in it where as naturally occurring salts are as good for hair as they are for other parts of your body.